Saturday 19 March 2016

Here It Is

Hi everyone, thanks for your patience; I know there are a few of you out there eager to follow my progress on the Appalachian Trail 2016 and I appreciate that very much.... so here it is!

Its Saturday evening and there are only two full days until I fly to Atlanta and the adventure  truly begins.

This first post is rather experimental, I'll go into more detail of previous preparations at a later date. My aim today is to a) see if this works and b) give you an idea of my early schedule. I plan on posting many photos once I get going, hopefully you wont get bored of trees!

Okay so I fly from Heathrow on Tuesday 22 March at 12.30 and arrive in Atlanta, Georgia at 1815, approximately a 10 hour flight. Upon arrival im booked into a hotel close to the airport for hopefully a good nights sleep, however I fear not if the last couple of weeks have been anything to go by. On Wednesday 23 I plan to buy a sim card for my phone, stock up on the bits of kit I still need, do my first Trail Food shop and organise some transport to Amicalola Falls (the southern hub of the AT). This will all go exactly to plan (!?) and on Thursday 23 I plan to hike the 8.8 mile approach trail before spending my first night outdoors ready to begin chipping away at the 2,189.1 miles on Friday 24.

As I alluded to earlier I have certainly been suffering from pre trail nerves the last week or so, the days have flown by since I became unemployed but most of the nights have been virtually sleepless. A good friend told me that if you are having trouble sleeping then a week camping in the forest will sort you out and regulate it so lets hope 6 months does the trick!

Short and sweet I know but thats it for now, dont want to burn myself out too quickly.

Thanks for reading, will be back soon

10 comments:

  1. Hi Rich, if you get this it means the site is working. Thanks for the update, I will endeavour to follow please do keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog looks great

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy it Rich but stay safe please

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great time but keep out of trouble 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay safe. I'm in awe of you

    ReplyDelete