Wednesday 23 March 2016

Sleeping in the woods

As you may gather from the title, I've made it to the approach trail and have set up in the shelter alongside 3 other weary souls; Chris, Bug and Jet. Feels a bit strange after the hustle and bustle of Atlanta, I'm now sat at a picnic table with only the sound of the falls to distract me. Quite a different story than at 9.30 this morning when as I arrived back at the airport to get the train and there was huge panic due to a suspect package and the whole place was evacuated! Was nothing in the end but I understand the better to be safe than sorry attitude after what happened in Brussels, everyone is on high alert.
Today has been a success overall, sorted a sim for my phone, did a food shop (needs improvement) and spent $400 in the REI store, hopefully that's it equipment wise, bloody wants to be, my pack is very heavy!! I also phoned many shuttlers for a lift but none were available and then I had my first bit of 'trail magic'. Just as I was about to give up and find a hotel for the night one of the employees offered to drive me. Couldn't believe it, thanks Ashley, you lived up to the reputation of the kindness in the south!
Ok just looked up and realised its dark so I'd best find my way back to the shelter. Might be the last update for a few days as Trailing truly begins tomorrow. 
Cheers.

3 comments: